Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Christmas Book Tradition: More Titles

So, at pre-school drop-off today, guess what happened?

This.

I have a real weakness for Scholastic book orders.  How do you pass up the prices they give you???  I know we could check the books out at the library for free, but I want my boys to be surrounded by books and have treasured memories of them.  Their dad normally does bedtime at night, while I do story time before nap time, and it just makes my heart swell when I go back to check on them and see them cradling books in their sleep.  It is the most precious thing.  Ever.  Even Elijah now sleeps with "The Busy Spider" or "Turkey Train".  And I don't have to worry about the condition of the books since they're not from the library (though luckily, my boys are pretty gentle with their books most of the time).

So, these books will be replacing some of the board books in our official "24 days of stories" next year, and I decided to go ahead and add them to my list while I was motivated to.

The Gingerbread Man, illustrated by Gail Yerrill:  I realized we've never really read this classic story, and wanted to add it to our collection.  Spoiler alert:  Does the gingerbread man always get eaten by a fox?  He does in our story.  I'm a little afraid that may cause tears, but we'll see.

An Otis Christmas, by Loren Long:  Elijah received his first Otis book from his Aunt and Uncle last year, and he has loved it ever since.  "Otis" was even one of his first words, and I believe the first name he ever said.  In this Christmastime tale, Otis is the only one that can face the blizzard to try to get the veterinarian to the farm in time to save a laboring horse.  Will he do it?

Olive, the Other Reindeer, by Vivian Walsh and J. Otto Seibold;  From the song, "All of the Other Reindeer," Olive ("all of") is a reindeer (dog) who helps (henders) Santa on the big night.  A great story for all the dog fans out there.

Ten Shiny Snowflakes, by Russell Julian:  This was the $1 of the month special, and is as titled, a counting book about snow.  It is a little different than our other book in that it starts at ten and counts down.

The Berenstain Bears and the Nutcracker, by Jan and Mike Berenstain:  We have a few small decorative nutcrackers, and every year the boys love to play with them (hence all the glue on their swords).  But, they don't know about the classic ballet at all, so I picked up this one in hopes that we can see it some year.  There are lots of theatres or puppetries around here that cater specifically to adapting shows for little kids and I'd love to take the boys to a show.

Llama Llama Jingle Bells, by Anna Dewdney:  With our spend $10, get a free book coupon, Theodore did his shopping for his brother's present from him and very aptly picked this story.  Elijah is also a llama llama fan, so this little book will be perfect for him.

Altogether, only $14.  Now, to resist the spend $10 get a free book up to $5 coupon for this month...

For the rest of our list, go here.

No comments: