Saturday, January 12, 2013

Blogging in 2013

Despite the fact that blogger tells me my last post was on Nov. 1, I actually have been keeping up with my blog I just haven't been publishing anything I write (I had no way to upload photos to my computer so all my posts are half finished).  Hopefully that will change soon. 

My computer went down in November.  It was a very sad day, but we found that my original laptop was still alive.  Thus, I've been using it for a couple months.  However, it works at the speed of about a 1990 computer and has no camera for using Skype (amongst other issues like lack of photo editing software-I can't even crop a photo).  Luckily, my in-laws helped me out with a nice Christmas gift to go toward a new laptop, so I'm now happily speeding along on a new computer again (though figuring out the new Windows is taking some time).

When I first started my blog, I mainly wanted to give my distant friends and relatives a look at our life here so they could feel a part of what we are doing.  Several of my friends "back home" (whether that is Arizona or Indiana) have blogs that inspired me to start mine.  However, as we settled here in Delaware and started our family, my blog changed along with us.  While originally I was highlighting the places we discovered here in Delaware, in recent years I have also added on posts with information about babies and toddlers and raising them here.  I use this place as a diary that I hope will be interesting to them when they are older.

As we anticipate moving to DC soon, I assume my blog will change right along with me.  As new posts highlight all the new places we will discover there (picture this mama with a baby strapped in a baby carrier tightly holding the hand of a toddler on the metro traipsing all over DC this spring), I am going to try to be a little more explicit when posting about these places with info that other mamas/dadas would find helpful (such as:  kid-friendly menus, changing facilities, nursing rooms, general age guidelines for places). 

After being here for so long, and bringing two baby boys home to this tiny apartment, it is bittersweet to anticipate our move.  It will be the third time in the last decade that I have left everything I know behind (except Brian), and started in a new place.  But, it should be an exciting new chapter to this blog.  I thought of changing the title to 2304 miles minus 100 miles (exactly how far Brian's work is from here, back in the direction we came from), but I thought that was a little too complicated. 

No comments: