Saturday, June 21, 2014

First Day of Summer Smoothie

So, perhaps this post was originally titled "first day of spring smoothie" but at least I am eventually getting it on here.

I have never been a big breakfast person.  Ever.  For one thing, I don't like eggs.  For another, I am not a huge cereal fan.  But for the last nine months I've really been working on eating properly and of course one of the first things everyone says on the subject is to eat a proper breakfast.  So, throughout the spring and into the hot summer months, one of my favorite things to eat for breakfast is THIS smoothie.

It took me a while to perfect it, and I do make substitutions based on what ingredients my husband accidentally uses up, but for the most part, it's the same thing.  My boys always want a little with their monster breakfasts that seem to go on forever, so this is normally enough for a full cup for me and a couple little servings for them.

 In a blender, combine:
1 ripe banana
4-5 fresh strawberries (or thawed frozen ones)
a handful of fresh or frozen blueberries
4 ice cubes
a handful or two of spinach (I am growing fresh on the patio, but have a bag in the freezer for when I'm between batches)
1/4-1/2 milk
*optional:  Chia seed or other desired nutrients

No comments: