Monday, November 3, 2008

Shannon's Sweet Potato & Sausage Soup

I got the idea to make a sausage and sweet potato soup a few weeks ago, but could not find a good recipe. I pretty much came up with this one on my own, adding spices that my husband normally likes with sweet potatoes. I'm actually not a big sweet potato fan, but I really like this soup. Feel free to change it up.


1 lb. pork sausage (I use my families own butchered pork)
1 large onion, chopped
1 large garlic clove, minced
3 large sweet potatoes, peeled, quartered lengthwise, cut into 1/4 inch slices
4 1/2 cups chicken broth
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon cloves
pepper
salt

In a large soup pot, break up sausage and cook until browned, stirring often, about 8 minutes. Transfer sausage to paper towels to drain. Drain excess oil, but leave a couple tablespoons in the pot. Add onions and garlic and cook until translucent, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Add sweet potatoes and cook until beginning to soften, stirring often, about 15 minutes. Add broth, brown sugar, and cloves; bring to boil, scraping up browned bits. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until potatoes are soft, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes. Using potato masher, mash some of potatoes in pot. Add browned sausage to soup. Season with salt and pepper. Divide among bowls and serve.

1 comment:

Shannon E said...

Five years later this is still a good soup. Now, I can modify it to include the boys. For an older baby, go ahead and puree up the soup before adding salt. For a self-feeding baby, strain out some bits of sausage and small pieces of sweet potato and they can feed themselves.