Saturday, March 14, 2015

3.1415926...

Sandwiched between Eli's half birthday and St. Patrick's Day is a nice little holiday, now a nation wide phenomenon known as Pi day. Basically, three little holidays that help getting through the rainy season of March just a little easier.  And an excuse for some good eats.

Apparently more than just math teachers (even us on sabbatical) are celebrating Pi Day now.  From the approximation of the ratio of a circle's circumference to it's diameter, March 14 (3-14) is considered a day to let your math dork flag fly and enjoy some favorite pie recipes.  Last year we enjoyed this one for blueberry pie.

This year it is the Pi Day of the Century due to the year, "15", which are the next two digits in the number.  We're recognizing 9:26 as the official time of the celebration as well (though I was just starting to make my pie at that time today).  Though I think I asked my grandmother for this recipe the last time I was expecting, it has taken a few years for me to make it on my own.  It was so simple and it is a rich, delicious pie for a dreary, rainy day.

Peanut Butter Pie


Ingredients:
8 oz cream cheese, softened
2/3 cup crunchy peanut butter
2 cups powdered sugar
8 oz cool whip
graham cracker crust (with two extra servings) or make your own
whipped cream and peanuts (optional garnishes)

Mix together the cream cheese and peanut butter with mixer, add powdered sugar and mix more.  Fold in cool whip.  Put in graham cracker crust, and chill.

Happy Pi Day!

 

No comments: