Monday, March 17, 2014

Irish Soda Bread

Occasionally, I will treat Brian to Irish Soda Bread when I make my easy modified shepherd's pie.  I still make this recipe that I posted years ago, but I have long ago dropped the bacon from it and recently changed from sour cream to a low-fat/no-fat yogurt just to drop a little more fat.  Sometimes I make it with beef or lamb, but I prefer to make it with turkey just to bring the nutritional value up even more.


I like to make this shepherd's pie meal every other week or so, but it has probably been a year since I've made any of the soda bread.  However, since it's St. Patty's Day I decided I would go ahead and make up a loaf for the holiday.


This bread doesn't necessarily have the most traditional presentation and shape, but I love how it turns out.  It's one of the only things I make that uses a bundt pan.  The one I have doubles as a springform pan as well.  I love pans that have multiple uses like this since I still have pretty limited kitchen storage.

 In a large bowl, combine 3 1/2 cups flour, 1/2 cup sugar, 2 Tbsps caraway seeds, 2 tsps baking powder, 1 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp baking soda.
In a small bowl, whisk 2 eggs and 2 cups (16 oz) of sour cream.  

Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients just until moistened.

Fold in 3/4 cup raisins. 

Spoon into a greased 9-inch bundt/springform pan.

Bake at 350°F for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.  

 Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes before removing sides of pan.  Cut into 8 wedges; serve warm.

No comments: