Saturday, October 18, 2008

In Search of Shepherd's Pie

Last night the hubby and I decided to eat somewhere on Main Street. We'd missed a happy hour for scientists at Kildare's Irish Pub earlier in the week, so we decided to go there. Though I would have preferred a quieter place (it was Friday night in a college town) the atmosphere was pretty good. Brian would have prefered to actually hear the music though. He ordered a Philly cheesesteak boxty, and thought it was pretty good, just salty. I almost always ordered shepherd's pie at Irish places, so I went ahead and ordered it. I was slightly disappointed-it was okay, but not a great dish. The fried onions that were on top were really great, and they did carry my favorite (and hard to find) cider, but the pie just let me down. I think if we'll return, we'll just go for appetizers. Which we should get for free, for joining their fan club.
In downtown Tempe, our favorite Irish place, with music you can hear, is the famed Rula Bula. Their shepherd's pie is awesome.

I have also been making my own shepherd's pie a lot recently. This recipe is modified from one in my Rachel Ray cookbook.

2 tablespoons olive oil
¼ pound bacon, chopped
1 lb of ground lamb
1 ½ teaspoons paprika
1 ½ teaspoons cumin
1 tablespoon thyme
coarse black pepper
salt
1 medium onion, chopped
2 carrots, diced
3 celery ribs, chopped
1 small red bell pepper, chopped
2 cups frozen peas
2 tablespoons flour
2 cups beef stock
½ cup sour cream
10 fresh chives, chopped

Heat a deep, large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil to the skillet, then add the bacon and brown it up. Drain off the excess fat, then add the lamb to the pan. Season the meat with the paprika, cumin, thyme and a sprinkle of salt and black pepper. When the turkey is browned, add the onions, carrots, and celery. Season the veggies with salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, then add the peppers and peas and cook for another 5 minutes. Stir in the flour and cook for 2 minutes. Add the stock and combine. Stir in ½ cup of the sour cream and simmer the mixture over low heat for at least 10 minutes.

Serve with mashed potatoes, and chives on top.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Sounds pretty good. I may give it a try :)

My computer desks are without computers are the moment. The computers are in a storage room about 14 feet from my classroom...but they haven't been installed yet. I'm itching for them.