Saturday, May 17, 2014

Dale City Farmer's Market: Spring Addition

It's baaaack!
While it has been going on all winter with limited hours and a smaller number of vendors, the market is now back in full force for the regular spring/summer/fall hours of 8-1pm.  Giving us time to get there before church.  I have even started running up to the market and having the boys meet me there.  Which is kind of remarkable because I've always hated to run and I could barely make it walking there and back when we first moved here months ago (there is quite a hill, in my defense). 

If you can't tell by the fact that this is the third time I've posted on it, I'm kind of in love with the Dale City Farmer's Market.  I realized that there is such a difference in the market between each season, that is was worth posting on each of them.  Now that we live somewhere with our own outdoor spaces, the spring market just might be my favorite.  I had never thought about all the plant seedlings that would be available in the springtime, and love seeing all the different kinds of flowers as well.



I tried to make a list of what plants were available last week, though I'm sure I missed some.  They included:  basil, cilantro, garlic, chives, rosemary, lemon grass, rhubarb, bell peppers, eggplant, tomato, tomatillo, oregano, sage, thyme, mint, parsley, cucumber, spinach, kale, sunflowers, and watermelon.

Additionally, there are normally meat, seafood, eggs, honey, pickles, and cheese available from vendors.  Already prepared foods include apple cider donuts, kettle corn, cheesecake, salsa, mini-waffles and gallettes (see photo below), breads, pies, and pastries, sorbet, salad dressing, spice blends, and middle eastern foods.
 If they can't stop to smile, you know the food is good.

As of the beginning of May, strawberries, spring onions, greens, and asparagus have arrived as well!  And each week only seems to get better!
You can find out more about the market here Winter Market and here Summer Market.

No comments: