Friday, August 22, 2014

Blueberry Muffins with Crumb Topping for the Birthday Boy

I am very lucky to have a husband who is okay with me doing things like taking off for a month's vacation without him.  He missed his boys and I a great deal, but he barely even complained while gone and even scanned Eli's favorite book before we left so he could read it to him on skype.  I don't praise him a lot, but he is really due a lot of recognition.  And since today is his birthday, I'm going to give him some:  Brian is really great with his boys (bedtime is all him, everyday, and he changes lots of diapers without any complaining); he keeps our yard, cars, and garden in good shape; and he will fix just about anything I ask him to.  He's a great cook, artistic, and always handles the trash for me.  And he works hard at his job and faithfully raises our boys to be Christ-like. 

So today, in honor of his birthday, I'm passing on one of his favorite recipes to you.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These.  Are.  Amazing.

Brian starting making this recipe a few years ago, and I finally started making them for him on his birthday last year.  I'm not sure where he found this recipe, but I'm sure the crumb topping is what attracted him to it.  I think he'd put crumb topping on just about anything he could if I let him.  He loves the stuff.

These are almost too good to share, but I will.  This recipe makes 8 muffins.
  • Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Grease muffin cups or use liners.
  • Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, 3/4 cup sugar, 1/2 tsp salt and 2 tsps baking powder. 
  • Place 1/3 cup vegetable oil into a 1 cup measuring cup; add the egg and enough milk to fill the cup. 
  • Mix this with flour mixture. Fold in 1 cup blueberries. 
  • Fill muffin cups right to the top, and sprinkle with crumb topping mixture.  
  • To make crumb topping: Mix together 1/2 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, 1/4 cup butter, and 1 1/2 tsps cinnamon. Mix with fork, and sprinkle over muffins before baking.
  • Bake for 20-25 minutes in the oven, or until done.

*I think you only need about HALF of the crumb topping mixture, but it's up to you.* 
They go in looking like this...
 and voila.

They warm up really well in the oven if you make them the night before.  As does bacon.  A great pairing for a quick birthday breakfast.  And for my husband, with coffee, of course.

No comments: